Friday, June 20, 2008

I haven't downloaded the photos from the camera and dont have the lead with me so I'm just writing today. Anyway the photos are of 12th century churches, little stone houses with trailing rose bushes, the odd tower of two and the Loire which is a big wide river.Passe really! The funny thing is that everything is old and all the houses , recent or ancient in Brittany or pays de Le Loire are all the same yellowy beige colour. I dont know if this is a heritage thing and compulsory or the just the standard colour of the concrete they slather on to new houses. In the Pays del loire it is understandable because the Tufa stone that everything is built out of is a pale yellow. Its certainly odd in the land of "Liberte".

I had a lovely dinner at a Lebanese restaurant with the Caillard's in Renne then hit the sack. They told me that the path along the Canal Ille et Rance from Dinan to Rennes was 90km which explained my extreme fatigue...or so I thought...until the diarrhea struck the next morning. I think it was a brief attack of the mal de Jensen (c/- Jensens of Egham UK)but it was brief and some codiene and cocoa-cola at the Cafe american in Rennes plus a sit down and I was back on the tourist trail. I checked ot the Rue's that Caitlin bought all those french clothes at on her exchange, the Musee des Beaux artes with a fascinating exhibition of neolithic and roman findings from the entire province then on the way back to the Caillards dropped in on Mme Bebin whom Caitlin stayed with for the majority of her exchange. She had just arrived back from Florida and invited me for tea. I met the 3 goats and her dog Poopy whom Caitlin was very fond of and we nattered away about things in general especially those things I had practiced with the Caillards. Everyone had noted Caitlin's predilection for th TV and shopping. I was also able to entertain both he Caillards and Maryonne with the story of Bibi eating the whole block of chocolate and having to be hospitalized for a huge sum of money. The Caillard's , who run a farm , were , of course shocked ...mind you ..so was I when I heard of the vet bill initially. Bryan assures me that there is a discount.

I set off in rain and got lost trying to find my way put of Rennes. A man who had already been drinking at 10am tried to show me on the map where I was. This was quite unsolicited and I have found that drunken men in the morning are very keen to assist me. In the UK one morning 2 of them tried to assist me . One complimented me on my figure and attributd this to the bicycling. I felt quite thrilled but sad that only a drunken man could appreciate my physical charms. I found my way in the rain to the train station and cought a train to Anger.

1 comment:

Bryan Drummond said...

Sue I am sure it is not that only drunk men notice your lovely derriere attributed to the bike riding, they're probably the only ones with courage to comment. Anyway, it is lovely reading your commentary, as it's my first chance to get a glimps of it. I am still having battles with TPG and have no access to internet or phone line thanks to them. But I have recived your lovely snail mail cards thank you, I will reply more once I am back in the 21st century with my communication. I am very pleased to see your french is alive and well. Can't wait for the photos. wishing you safe and exciting journey love halina