Thursday, July 24, 2008

Beaune

Got to Beaune late arvo, mainly because I was dog tired and despite it being a rather easy day cycling wise I guess I'm feeling my age after 6 days riding. Beaune is the prototypical French tourist town as well as the heart of the wine growing business in Burgundy. There are "caves"..cellars for tasting and buying everywhere. The buildings,including the ancient Hospice set up in the 12th century and run as a hospital until 1983 are beautifully preserved. It has fabulously restored 14th century paintings and tapistries. Its the one with the decorated roof which is characteristically Burgundian. The town has a wall with Portes which makes it very quaint. The town extends well beyond the walls bu the tourist area within the walls is gorgeous. Lots of clothing shop and Salon Du The's" with beautiful cakes. I decided to have a rest but despite the weather being beautiful I slept most of today and I'm in a restaurant with Wifi gratuit..the best sort.. enjoying the cool of the evening. I'm also trying to get my head around the labels on the wine. Its a bit differnt ot Oz where I tend to pick out the wine based on the art or graphics on the label and the grape variety. Here there is the grape variety, the type of soil composition, the vintener and whether he bottled it all on a very sober label.


No comments: