Thursday, June 11, 2009

YORK TO HULL IN A DAY



This nearly killed me. Its flat all the way so there was no excuse for the exhaustion at barely 90km. Well perhaps the persistant easterly wind was a mitigating factor. It would have been less but i set off north instead of south for at least 5 km until I was getting to concerned that nothing on the map matched the signs I was seeing. This was despite having my compass at the ready. The trail north was very nice so It didn't hurt. Back at York I took the opportunity to go to the post pffice and obtain a phone charger to replace the one I must have left at Walton. That meant getting away at 1000 and grinding south through the lovely town of Selby with its 12th century Abbey which the headlines in the local paper claimed is becoming a ghost town. The recession has it midlands town hard. As I approached the town tere was a huge grey thunderhead looming so I thought I was in for the forecast deluge but it was a false cloud formation form the rising steam from the cooling towers of the several nuclear power reactors. It made me think that as the have so many , why dont we sell out uranium to the poms?

The next stop was Howden...an historic town with another medieval church framed by collapsed ruins . The town also sports a very English cricket ground.
It was then on under "Constable skies" throught the flat Ouse basin with littel villages called Yokefleet, Blacktoft , Flaxfleet eventually reaching the Humber Estuary and a great ride along the Humber under the amazing Humber Bridge. I have to thank the barman and waitress at the "Griffin" , a pub in Ellingham for their coffee , mars bar and general encouragement which revived me at about 5pm. I still had about 25km to go to Hull.

No comments: