Wednesday, June 17, 2009

ROTTERDAM TO AMSTERDAM


I arrived in Rotterdam Europort and scootered of the boat first..the advantage of being on a bike...but onto the wrong side of the road...until I met a truck.

Had to ride a fair way to get a train to Rotterdam Centraal where I met with the happy couple. I think they were happy to see me but also becauseit had stopped raining !

We found the LF2b signs which made it a lovely ride to Amsterdam. We stopped by a canal and made lunch...they are now very frugal and had all sorts of lekker things to eat. The weather was so beautiful that the sheep with their lambs were just chilling ON the bike path and were most reluctant to move. Lots of baby animals in the fields. It was not the most direct route so it was more like 100km and I was a bit knackered when we got back to their appartment. It is in Amsterdam Zuid Oost which ahs had a spot of urban renewal ...a man who guided me very kindly to the railway in Rotterdam fromt eh Europort recoiled in alarm when I said I was staying in that suburb..."but that is where the criminal live!" . I explained that Chris was a poor artist. The gentlman running the B&B which is in an ordinary house in the same suburb explained that the area was the most dreadful suburb in the whole of Holland until 15 years ago when the authorities decide to pull it down and rebuild with a mix of private and public housing and lower level buildings. He sometimes gets clientle who have been told be the taxi driver that they had better not go to his establishment due t its location. Actually the B&B is in a small older developement adjoining Biljmer Park with open space and even horses and very close to a metro station . UIts a lovley ride into the city.

No comments: