Monday, June 8, 2009

Glossop to Walton


No idea how far it was but seemed a hell of a long way. I was planning to get to Leeds but absolutely stuffed. Set off after tremendous breakfast, Mentioned to Joanne that I would like fruit so I had yoghurt and huge plate of berries. The sky cleared so this was the time for an attack on the summit...Woodhead Pass. The trail along the Logendale Resevoir lead to a gravelly, rocky, steep path which I double checked said walkers, cyclists and equestrian. There was no way to ride. It was slippery and steep. I pushed Betsy up and got to a plateau full of sheep and their lambs. The moor was desolate (except for the sound and at times view of the A road traffic). I expected to see Heathcliff marching over the moor. The track then turned into a brook and in process of keeping on a lamb got separated from its mum and pursued me bleating pitifully. At times the track crossed the A road and went up and down, crossing a bridge (Salter's Bridge) This was apparently a well used road for the carters of salt. and the remains of an inn for travellers was there to see. Eventually the trail went down hill to a very quaint hamlet with a restaurant and onto Penistone. This merited morning tea. I tried to order a cream eclair with my cuppa but my accent was unintelliglible and I nearly missed out. The camera then depowered as I treid to take a photo of the Penistone Church which is 13th century. The brochure will have to do. The onto the Dove Valley Trail..on a disused railway trail with huge puddles. At least it was flat. That was not before a shortcut through willow lane involving another horrible push up a narrow right of way that should never have indicated being bicycle worthy. From there the trail skirted Barnesley ...thankfully, as a bus in Penistone had an advert on its side for living in Barnesly emphasizing that the crime rate had halved in the last 8 years and it was now safe to live there. Unfortunately the trail became very narrow , wedged between a wire fence and stone walls as it skirted the industrial parks. It was quite claustrophobic and rather scary and incredibly ugly....but not for long. North of Royston along the Dearne it became well paved and rather beautiful. I was well aware that at the pace I was making it was impossible to reach Leeds tonight but the guide book cited a hotel in Walton ..and what a beauty. Its an old statley home turned into a hotel and golf course. I have a claw footed bath to soak in, free wifi, a room with a view onto the surrounding lake the house is actually in a lake) and have just enjoyed a dinner of dales lamb. I am in heaven.

No comments: