Saturday, August 9, 2008

Today in Aix.


I figured that I should have a rest today but tis difficult to stay with in the confines of a one person tent which is gradually heating up for another hot day or sit outside it in the dust so I've installed myself in a bar which has free wifi and a good view of the coming and goings of Rue d'Italie. I hope that the free wifi does not mean someone is hacking into the bank account!

I've also just seen the mens pairs Crawshaw and Jansen and now the men's 4 win their heats at the Olympics which did not seem to cause the same response as mine by other people in the bar. Actually, I must have missed the opening ceremony somewhere along the line.

This is me yesterday enjoying the boat ride and the smell of the sea for the first time in 2 months ...before disgracing myself at the yacht club de cassis. Any way thought it was such a nice place that I'd head back again tomorrow and see the rest of the Calanques and maybe have a swim. I saw Marseilles briefly en route yesterday. It is quite a magnificent setting with an church up on a high hill above it . It looked, in the brief time, I had there very old without the benefit of an update! also correction: it is the second biggest city in France, not Lyon. I think that despite the input of Le Corbusier to functional architecture in the mid last century , concrete does not age well and the many concrete boxes, both residential and commercial look horribly grimy detracting from the ambience of the city.

No comments: