Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Hanging About in Lyon

Wifi is not working on my computer in the hotel so no pictures. Yesterday in Lyon it rained so I sought out the "Biggest Shopping Mall in Europe" Layfayette Galleries, to get a pack for the ongoing travel. I dont think its as big as Doncaster Shopping town. After doing the mall thing the rain eased off and I set forth again to the city to master the Metro, visit the Musee Des Beaux Artes and find some novels in English. I am now reading Maria Lewica's first novel " A Short History of Tractors in th Ukraine" after reading "Two Caravans". Both are highly recommended for a laugh and some wise observations on family and migration. The Musee doesn't open on Tuesdays, I found out when I got there. After Bryan's phone call to advise me of the enormous phone bill I couldn't justify a meal out so I bought some dry biscuits and cream cheese.. and a 250 ml bottle of red wine. Only 5 euro's. Consumed the lot while watching highlights from the J.O. Not much about Australia. Don't know what was in the wine but it was 10.30 in the morning when I awoke!

I think I'm just happy riding the bike. I headed of for a little ride to the medieval tourist town of Perougues 35 km east of Lyon. It was cute and had beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. I the distance you could just glimpse the towers of the local nuclear power station. To the east were the alps and I found myself longing to get my gear and head in that direction and just keep going. Theres Switzerland ,Germany and beyond. Caught the train back because of a lack of interesting things on the way then just for fun rode up the steep hill to the plateau on the east side of the Croix Rouge for the view over Lyon.

Tommorrow is the last day before Tunisia. I have bought 2 pairs of long , white cotton pants to conceal the attractiveness of my legs from Tunisian men but not sure what to wear on the top. It will be a great relief to meet up with Kate and Chris and be able to have a chat.

No comments: