Thursday, August 7, 2008

Arles





I went to Arles yesterday by bus. Saw lots of dust and villages in an essentially flat part of Provence but still no lavender. It was amazingly hot . Lots of old buildings and churches and galleries named after Van Gogh but not actually with any of his paintings. My favorites are the ones he painted at Arles so I was a bit dissapointed. Its on the Rhone and there were 3 of those large tourist river boats so the town was chockas with Americans and even heard an Australian twang. The startling thing was the colliseum which C/- EU money is having a makeover. Its in good nick and used for bullfighting but had all the grime scraped off one side and looked quite white and magnificent. Came back early as it was not terribly enthralling and had a nice North African couscous.

Today slept in as my body has at last and perhap too late adjusted to the sleeping mat with the leak and it was a bit cooler. Met up with my English friend and her compatriates had lunch and found a book shop that sells books in English. I bought a phrase book as recommended by Caitlin . Also discovered that Decathalon sells compasses one of which I have bought. Talk about too late. On the count down until I send the tent back to Oz and dispose of the ripped sleeping bag and useless mat.

No comments: